Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 01:24 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  My Little Kony: Viral Videos are Magic
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My Little Kony: Viral Videos are Magic  (Read 13849 times)
Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:00 am »

Okay so thanks to Facebook most of you have probably heard about this Kony guy and Invisible Children's campaign to "stop" him.

If for some reason you haven't seen it, here's the video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc</a>

My initial urge was make a donation but these things as they are I wanted to look into it first. As you may also be aware, there is a load of criticism about the campaign, pretty well summed up here and here.

Invisible Children has since responded to some of that with this.

Slactivism aside, this campaign will no doubt trigger mass interest and probably garner a fortune in donations. Something will come of this, although we are yet to see what. Obviously, Kony is not the only war criminal out there, though no doubt one of the worst and I don't think anyone would be opposed to his capture. But realistically how much good would this do? I'm on the fence about this issue.

Nicol
Time Vampire
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:09 am »

Wait, you're from Africa?

i came up in this world so cold. that's why my heart's on froze
drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

Hurry up, Tommy, before zee Germans get here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:15 am »

I'm glad awareness is being raised, albeit in a shitty way by a shitty organization, and i think it's hilarious that it took a video by a really shitty organization for this to happen. Obama dispatches military advisers to Uganda? Nobody pays attention. Somebody makes a bunch of kony dubstep videos? INTERNATIONAL SENSATION.

I don't really get the hatred for everyone jumping on the bandwagon though. INVISIBLE CHILDREN: SHITTY. KONY: WAY SHITTIER. PEOPLE THAT ARE DRINKING THE INVISIBLE CHILDREN KOOL-AID: dumb but not really awful or anything. Eventually they'll get the full story and it's good that they now at least know who Kony is.

Daniel The Maniel
A Fake Punk With Fake Attitude and Fake Grit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26 am »

UNICEF has a higher donation efficiency than Invisible Children ($0.06 for ever dollar rather than $0.02), so if you still want to donate, that's probably a better place to go to.
HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36 am »

I'm glad awareness is being raised, albeit in a shitty way by a shitty organization, and i think it's hilarious that it took a video by a really shitty organization for this to happen. Obama dispatches military advisers to Uganda? Nobody pays attention. Somebody makes a bunch of kony dubstep videos? INTERNATIONAL SENSATION.

I don't really get the hatred for everyone jumping on the bandwagon though. INVISIBLE CHILDREN: SHITTY. KONY: WAY SHITTIER. PEOPLE THAT ARE DRINKING THE INVISIBLE CHILDREN KOOL-AID: dumb but not really awful or anything. Eventually they'll get the full story and it's good that they now at least know who Kony is.

The problem is that the video skewed some facts, and completely omitted others. Raising awareness is a great goal, and Kony is a terrible monster who must be brought to justice, but misleading the public for sake of donations is not the best way to achieve these goals. In fact, it detracts from other, more effective solutions.

Yes, come on, get a dog up you, you rapscallion.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19 pm »

Yeah it's essentially a slick propaganda film full of misinformation. For example, Kony hasn't even been active in Uganda since 2006. Apparently Invisible Children also supports a bill that would lead to America helping militarize Uganda, mostly to protect natural resources and assets over there. Plus, only about a third of the money they raise goes directly to aiding Uganda, most of the other 2/3 is for funding these documentaries.

That being said, I talked to a girl about this the other day (which is rare, me talking to girls) and she told me she didn't even realize guerilla warfare was that big a problem. Not just guys like Kony, but guerilla warfare in general. It's hard to believe that there's people out there so insular and ignorant to the issue, so I suppose the virality of the video is a plus, depending on how you feel about having more armchair activists.

Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21 am »

...most of the other 2/3 is for funding these documentaries.

The breakdown of expenses on their site seems to show otherwise. Here are the financial reports since 2006.

Am I the only one that isn't bothered so much by this structure? Putting aside the other problems with the military support and where the money in the Central Africa Programmes is going, the documentary has certainly compounded interest in the campaign which will in turn see a large increase in donations, meaning more can subsequently be spent on directly helping their cause. Were it some other cause that was putting the ground money to good use and was honest with its facts would people still be complaining? Now that their message is out there it would be interesting to see their spending for 2012 in any case.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:36 am »

Were it some other cause that was putting the ground money to good use and was honest with its facts would people still be complaining?

No, because that would be the opposite of what is going on here.

Matt
Fart Wizard

Quoth the raven, `Hmmm.'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01 am »

Ground money being the aforementioned 37% of expenses with the same breakdown in other areas of fund raising, awareness products, etc. as Invisible Children.

HyperGlavin
bridge and tunnel dyke
Probably a postbot

I'm a cool guy irl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28 am »

They'd cop some flak for the 37%, yeah. If it weren't for their insistence that raising awareness is their number one goal (which I'd say they fail at if they continue to misinform after eleven videos, only the last of which actually having any meaningful impact), Charity Navigator would've given them a low score in the financial category, bringing down their overall rating.

But of course the spending issue isn't as bad as the two major issues of misinforming the public and militaristic involvement.

Bettytron
Fart Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43 pm »

Here's a very good post about Invisible Children, political history in Uganda, and the danger of oversimplified narratives.

A lot of responses to criticism I've seen are along the lines of, "But sure, even if IC isn't perfect, what CAN we do? That video made us feel things and we want to help!" Is there an answer? I guess the one I'd offer is (a) just keep reading, keep following news, stay informed about issues like this that spark your interest. And (b), I don't know, donate to UNICEF? Is there any activism we can participate in that won't be damaging?

Actually in the 3rd comment on the post, the author addresses that a little bit. He's a good writer and has a lot to say that's worth reading.

Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00 am »

Invisible Children appear to have recieved significant funding from Terry and Barbara Caster and the NCF
EFHRK
ABORTION FORESTFUCK
Hurker

I am a huddled mass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28 pm »

Kony video shown in Uganda, riot breaks out
Mr Gale
Unbannable
Admin

I am Poirot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 03:21 pm »

Satire wise. Brooker's rant on Kony here. and the link to the musical thing he shows in full here.
drunkpiano
Je m'appelle
Technocratic Libertarian

Hurry up, Tommy, before zee Germans get here.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:26 pm »

OOPS!

Zach
Artist, Allusionist, Ape
Admin

Human, all too human

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 03:31 pm »

I'm glad they finally caught that serial public masturbator.

MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57 pm »

INVISIBLE CARS 2012
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 08:05 am »

Video of the act, supposedly. (NSFW because dude ass)

Compare that video to this one, where another nude man is off his tits on PCP.

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=96869
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:12 am by Chez San » Logged
Chez San
Busko Tungus
Food Forum Moderator

femifascist hogwash

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 08:07 am »

I mean, I've been exhausted before, and the last thing I wanted to do was take all my clothes off and go beat up the road.
JMD
Still Owes Me Five Bucks

Creepin while you're sleepin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 08:42 am »

I feel like this dude is the gold standard of PCP influenced public freakouts.

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=6051

Invisible Children guy should have started working the fence, that's a big time play.

There are only 2 meanings for troll. 1) Fishing and 2) Sing carefree.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length