Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 02:01 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Science! and Sports
| | |-+  A Reasonable Discussion on Mobile Phones and Stuff that is Done with Them
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: A Reasonable Discussion on Mobile Phones and Stuff that is Done with Them  (Read 3668 times)
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:03 am »

So there are about 40-50 more or less active members on here, all of whom presumably no longer use Razrs. Simpler times were those, when there was just one The Phone.
But now there's a billion The Phones and twice as many things to do with them.
It also stands to reason that most of us start thinking about our next The Phone every 24 months, since that is the typical contract length.
So now there's this.

I'll get the ball rolling. Mine is of a "things to do with phones" variety. I have a Samsung Infuse 4G, and it's pretty robust, but sadly it comes with FroYo, and there is no plan for Ice Cream Sandwich to be ported for that, because where's the money in that.
Rather than spend two years silently resenting my still pretty awesome phone, I leapt into action! Quickly, I researched the rooting process.

Two months later I successfully rooted my phone. Finally, I had unlocked my phone's potential! I could install any operating system I want!
...And there are a lot of them, and it seems impossible to find a comprehensive review or introduction to , and any site that does  have such things are polluted with... well, the kind of people who know how to do these things.

So, has anybody rooted their phone? If so, can you recommend me a killer OS for me? What sort of new silliness should I get into? I have heard that it can be used as an emulator for different gaming systems, so that's cool. And tethering without losing my grandfathered unlimited plan as well as paying an extra $20/mo.

Although, my number one priority is stability. I used to have an iPhone, the second one, and for all its B.S., that little bastard almost never crashed, and that provides a bit of a bitter context to my current Android experience. It's not unusable, but I know it could be better and I wish to make that to be the case.

Waddyagot?
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13 am »

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it is so gigantic but also ridiculously powerful. The HD screen is gorgeous.

It can also make phone calls and shit, I basically never use that feature, it's more like a pocket-sized tablet PC for me.

Incidentally there is a new Razr out, it is a Razr smartphone and it is ridiculously thin.

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
Driscoll
Admin

Huge Cowardly Nerd Shitball

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17 am »

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, it's super thin and the screen is really wide. It's also got an OLED screen, so the colors, brightness, and viewing angles are really good. I spend about an hour a night reading books on it with no eye strain at all. I guess it's my first actual smartphone, so maybe I'm not the best to judge, but it makes iPhones look tiny in comparison. Also you can run emulators on it, which I don't think apple lets you do.
oball
Mod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:26 am »

So, has anybody rooted their phone?

Nah.  I dropped mine off a balcony once, but all that happened was the battery case flew off.  Hardly rooted at all.

I am currently rocking this beast of a device, as I have been for the last six years:

It can send messages!

BUTTS FOR THE BUTT GOD
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Florasexual

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:48 am »

I have a Galaxy Note so I'm also in the "ridiculously large phone" boat. It's great for reading on though, the Galaxy phones seem to have beautiful screens.

"Iíll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because heís pulled out."
laktose
Not Even
Street Smart

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35 am »

I have an HTC Desire HD. I love it, but the battery life is shit.

ass goblins
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44 am »

I have a Galaxy Note so I'm also in the "ridiculously large phone" boat. It's great for reading on though, the Galaxy phones seem to have beautiful screens.

How's the stylus on that? Good for detailed note-taking or does it stop at giant smiley face?
HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:07 am »

We'll find out when Rummy stops drawing giant smiley faces and learns how to write, I suppose.

[19:13] <EFHRK> Calvin the Coward
[19:13] <%ZachJ> Calvin the Unremarkable
[19:13] <oball> Calvin the Gross
[19:13] <@buttebot> Calvin the Butt
Joseph Nistal
Fraud Alert
Admin

Hold-up for a minute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09 am »

My 3GS is pretty rooted;

It still works normally as far as an iPhone is concerned.

I'm quite interested in the new Sony Xperia S that's being released since it's got a gorgeous 720p screen and Android OS. Making calls and sending texts is a plus too I suppose.

Remington Lonespear
#buttchat
Brumbpo Tungus

Neil deGrasse Tyson for the motherepic shit win

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:20 am »

I have a Sanyo SCP-2700, which was free the last time I needed a new phone.  It doesn't do anything fancy and I don't have a data plan anyway, but it makes phone calls and sends text messages and hasn't taken over my life so for that I am thankful.

To be honest, the idea of carrying a big ass smartphone around is one of the least exciting things I can think about doing.  I don't hate smartphones, as a rule, but I don't have the tech-boner for them that other people seem to have.

[18:30] <JonasSalk> lee was bring nerds together forever
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Florasexual

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29 am »

How's the stylus on that? Good for detailed note-taking or does it stop at giant smiley face?

Glavin is half right, I spend a lot of time drawing dicks in meetings. It's honestly not too bad though, and I know samsung gets a lot of shit for sticking a stylus on a "tablet replacement," or whatever it is they're billing it as, but it's pretty cool for drawing. I have used it to take actual notes with though, and for that, it's kind of shit. I've found that for jotting down passwords or something it's fine, I don't think it would be so good for shorthand. But it's 2012, who is using shorthand now?

HyperGlavin
hellafancy
Probably a postbot

Magnificent ass-haver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:36 am »

I have a Nokia N900. It is a brick. Looks like a brick, feels like a brick, takes hits like a brick, and runs like a brick. It uses an operating system that Nokia dropped after two devices, so the app selection is puny but it still has all the basic features you'd expect from a smartphone.

However, I'm interested in upgrading and getting my hands on something sleeker, with more power and capabilities. I've got my eye on the Nokia Lumia 800 because I seem to have some kind of masochistic compulsion towards uncommon phones.

[19:13] <EFHRK> Calvin the Coward
[19:13] <%ZachJ> Calvin the Unremarkable
[19:13] <oball> Calvin the Gross
[19:13] <@buttebot> Calvin the Butt
dustbuster
Posthulhu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48 pm »

To be honest, the idea of carrying a big ass smartphone around is one of the least exciting things I can think about doing.  I don't hate smartphones, as a rule, but I don't have the tech-boner for them that other people seem to have.

I felt the same way about smartphones until I got a Galaxy S2 as a gift.  It does enough cool shit that I don't mind it taking up a little more space in my pocket.
Housefly
Potential Friend

Man without a country.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35 pm »

I am rocking this bad boy:

I always wanted an iPhone or one of those tiny-laptop style smartphones, but I hate touchscreen keyboards.  I was in the phone shop, fairly unenthused, thinking "OK then I guess I'll get a Blackberry, whatever" when along came the Droid Pro to sweep me off my feet.  It's got a decent sized touch screen and a proper keyboard, and it does everything I want in a phone: Twitter, Youtube and.  Only problem is I've had it for 15 months and the battery life has become a bit pathetic.  There's no new model coming out as far as I can tell, so when this one finally gives up the ghost I'll have to choose between a keyboard and a big screen.
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Florasexual

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41 pm »

Actually, I just remembered my spare phone is some cheap no-name 20 euro plastic thing I bought in Germany that has one wonderful feature, you can use two sim cards in it at once. Best thing ever.

Does anyone know why big phone companies don't do this? Surely there is a market for business travelers etc. and other people who aren't tied down to one provider, or even people who are with multiple numbers.

Lukeington
Mongolord

If at first you don't succeed, try power tools.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 05:07 pm »

I've got an iPhone 3GS. I like it. I use it mostly for texting, twitter, web browsing and facebook.

When my contract expires I'll probably see if I can get my provider to upgrade me to whatever current iPhone is out in the summer. Probably the 5-SS at this rate.
MadPiper6
Hyperbolic Paraboloid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01 pm »

I'm starting to see a connection between the age of a a phone and how angry the owner is. This probably means that Karl is the Buddha.
boron
Mod

let me live my anime life

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:28 pm »

I have an iphone 4s, i like it.

Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16 am »

Actually, I just remembered my spare phone is some cheap no-name 20 euro plastic thing I bought in Germany that has one wonderful feature, you can use two sim cards in it at once. Best thing ever.

Does anyone know why big phone companies don't do this? Surely there is a market for business travelers etc. and other people who aren't tied down to one provider, or even people who are with multiple numbers.

Oddly enough I'm told there is a massive market for these phones - in India. So, there's that, I guess.

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
laktose
Not Even
Street Smart

SLAM DRUNK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 08:18 am »

I have a Nokia N900. It is a brick. Looks like a brick, feels like a brick, takes hits like a brick, and runs like a brick. It uses an operating system that Nokia dropped after two devices, so the app selection is puny but it still has all the basic features you'd expect from a smartphone.
And it's a pretty rad toy. I loved mine.

ass goblins
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length