Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2017, 07:16 pm

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Sanctum Sanctorum
| | |-+  Let's talk about Joe Paterno.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Let's talk about Joe Paterno.  (Read 27373 times)
Commodore 64
Internet Person

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22 am »

I heard that the money can't come from non-sports revenue, which means it shouldn't cause any academic layoffs, budget cutbacks, or tuition fees. Not sure if that's true as I can't seem to find a good source for it now.

Also, Penn State is a gigantic university. Then pay more than $450 million a year in taxes. The electric bill for their main campus alone is $17.5 million. If the average tuition for Penn State students comes out to the in-state level, they're still collecting $1.4 billion in tuition annually. $60 million is a drop in the bucket (and it's just a one-time penalty, right?)

The thing is, the real problem here is that the University fostered this environment where the football program is sacrosanct. If you look at the emails and notes in the Freeh report, they only ever talk about how this would affect the program. The thought never comes up that they might be impacted legally for lying, that they might be harming kids in the future, it's all football football football.

So if you don't punish the program, you're doing nothing to combat that. And if you do, then you're at least sending the message "if you do this to protect the football program, not only will we find out about it, but we'll make sure the program is punished worse than if you'd just reported it in the first place".

If this had happened to a different school in 1995, do you think these guys would stil have been as willing to cover it up?

No, it's like banning it for 5 years. And given what's happened that seems reasonable. If that means I need to listen to the Eels in the meantime, that's something I understand has to be done(though they are also awesome.)

It's not even like that the football team still gets to play, the students still get to watch them. Waits still gets to put out a Real Gone every once in a while, but you're gonna have to wait a few years before he gets to try for another Rain Dogs.
Benny B

Sawed-off Thought-gun

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2012, 11:28 am »

That is tough, but fair.
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2012, 11:58 am »

$60 million is a drop in the bucket (and it's just a one-time penalty, right?)

It's coming from things like their football scholarships over a span of five years, if I recall correctly. Combine the loss of scholarships with the inability to play in bowl games for a few seasons and you're looking at tons of transferred players, lack of interest from new recruits and a substantial drop in both team quality and game attendance. For a school that prides itself on football as much as Penn State, this is far more than just a drop in the bucket.

This move is going to cripple PSU's football program for at least half a decade, probably more since they'll need time to rebuild. Their legacy is tarnished forever and I doubt they'll ever be the same. I think that was the NCAA's intention and I agree with it. I don't care if it was just a certain amount of higher-ups involved in the scandal. The guys you chose to run your athletic program were harboring a child rapist. You can't let the legacy they built go unscathed. And no, I wouldn't say it's entirely unfair to the student body. Players can transfer without any penalty or wait period. Academic scholarships will still be available.

norumaru
Columns: 2, Pillars: 4,

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2012, 07:04 am »

So what's going to take the biggest hit from this penalty? The reputation of and emphasis on the football program at Penn.

Which, incidentally, is also the answer to the question: What led to the systematic cover-up of child abuse at Penn?

So, I'm fine with the sanctions. Destroying the sanctity of the football team will help prevent something like this from happening again.

Don't discriminate, you retards, racism is gay
Citizen Snips
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖ ♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙ ♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟ ♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
Probably a postbot

Der Zorn Gottes

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2012, 02:11 pm »

Stay classy.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length