Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2017, 07:54 am

Updated Topics | Recent Unread Topics
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Dragon Mountain
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Science! and Sports
| | |-+  Boxing and things
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Boxing and things  (Read 7111 times)
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:32 pm »

Manny Pacquiao, current number 1 pound-for-pound boxing champion (8 titles in 8 weight divisions) and shitty congressman, will be fighting Juan Manuel Marquez, so-so boxer and not-champion-anymore, for the third time today! Who will be watching this???

For those not familiar, here is a brief background of their previous encounters :

- Pacquiao-Marquez 1: ended in a very controversial draw (Marquez got knocked down 3 times while Pacquiao obviously dominated most of the rounds).

- Pacquiao-Marquez 2: Pacquiao won on a split decision. A travesty of fight judging if you ask me.

- And for those unfamiliar with Pacman, here he is being great at boxing: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliNmW06zfc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliNmW06zfc</a>

For this fight, Pacquiao went down to 140 lb from his previous 145 during his last fight with Shane Mosley (which he won via unanimous decision), so he'll be regaining some of the speed he may have lost with his weight gain. Although looking at him, he doesn't appear to have lost any of his speed or power at all even in the super welterweight division when he was fighting Margarito.

So yeah, this is a sure win for Pacquiao and nothing more than a quick payday for Marquez. Floyd Mayweather is too much of a simpering coward to fight Pacman and water is wet and the sky is blue etc etc.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Schroeder
Fart Master

Where's the butter? Put butter on what I said!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:59 pm »

At ~2:40, that little shot he throws makes it look like he's just reaching over real quick to flip his opponent's off-switch. It's like *click*, and the guy just shuts down. Manny Pacquiao is awesome.

Nicol• schroeder is to chess as gitro is to tribes
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45 am »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:55 am »

that was probably the worst pacman fight i have ever seen, i hate boxing forever

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
pingollum
Fart Wizard

the one with the sex-toylet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:50 am »

I don't think Pacquiao even knew what he was doing until round three, and even then Marquez had the upper hand on pretty much the rest of the match.

Sadly, Marquez is getting old, and it shows on his stamina towards the end, and I don't know if these two will get to duke it out again and settle the score. If this is their last fight, what a shit fight it was.

pingollum
Fart Wizard

the one with the sex-toylet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 11:57 am »

No, wrong, I didn't think it was a shit fight. I think Marquez fought well, Pacquiao was mediocre, and the judges can go fuck themselves.

I might be a just a tad bitter.

Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33 am »

Sadly, Marquez is getting old, and it shows on his stamina towards the end, and I don't know if these two will get to duke it out again and settle the score. If this is their last fight, what a shit fight it was.

Now we know how this fight turns out!

Anyway, who else likes boxing? Let us dissect Sunday's Pacquiao-Rios fight. What did you think of it? Was it the old Pacquiao we know and love, or was Sunday's Pacquiao a beaten old man, still unable to recover from his Marquez defeat? What could this victory mean for Pacquiao's future fights (if any)? Let me know your thoughts.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

#1 Internet Content Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27 am »

Pacquiao looked strong, but not as strong as he was at his peak. He certainly still has a lot of speed, and he made Rios look foolish with some of his combinations. I'm just wondering about the later rounds--clearly Pacman had Rios reeling, so did he not have the power to get the KO or was he being cagey because of  the surprise knockout in the Marquez fight?

Either way it was a very dominant win for Pacquiao (i scored along at home, my final tally was 119-109) and it proved he still has some gas left in the tank.

Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06 pm »

Partly, I think Pacquiao was being extra cautious, as the last Marquez KO clearly shows he is vulnerable. However, let us not forget that Rios also has quite the durable chin and most other opponents would have gone down had they been subjected to the same punishment. Pacquiao's speed was still tremendous though, and it's still incredible how he can tag you with a jab or straight and be behind you at the same time.

This win will likely encourage the Pacquiao camp to squeeze out a few more fights, as he can still clearly bring it. I have confidence Pacquiao can still stand up to Floyd Mayweather if a fight happens in 2014, but it is going to be a hard win for him.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:19 am »

Big ups to Pacman's mom

Liz
Mayonnaise Boy

Tonight, my bed is on the ocean.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 01:23 am »

Christian hexes on Bradley. Also that was a great fight and also i'm happy it went that way (wink to ya'll who haven't seen it).

Quote from: Zach
there's nothing liz can say that doesn't sound like something liz would say
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:42 pm »

Floyd Mayweather's father/former trainer is sure Pacquiao-Mayweather will happen

I seem to recall Mayweather saying he had a "surprise" in store for his spring bout, so maybe we'll finally get this damn thing. A few years too late is better than never at all

DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 01:37 am »

May 2nd

Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 11:41 am »

GUYS!!!!! Let's talk about the coming Fight.

You know the one I'm talking about...The Big Fight™

What are your thoughts on this Fight of Fights. The Match Of The Century. The Pugilistic Bout To End All Pugilistic Bouts.

What are your predictions. Share your analyses of each fighter's styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

I'll start:

After some deep introspection and several hours of rewatching both Pacquiao's and Money May's fights, I have come to the conclusion that Mayweather is the stronger contender, but only by a very small margin. I know it sounds like a sacrilege, considering that the Pacman is basically the Jesus H. Christ of the Philippines, but it's true. I love Pacquiao with all my heart and soul though, so I am still rooting for him to destroy Mayweather and force him to shamefully retire with a 47-1-0 blemish on his record.

I'd like to go into a bit more detail with my analysis but I only have a few minutes until my large son wakes up again to feed, so I'll just give you this list of some of each fighter's strengths and what the opposing fighter has that could potentially counter each one:

PACQUIAO

• Incredible punching speed, frequency, and accuracy. Gets opponents to go into a high guard using his jab, then accurately lands powerful combinations through the guard.

Mayweather has his shoulder roll - that fabled Mayweather Shoulder Roll - and incredible reflexes that he could use to effectively weather most of Pacquiao's combos (if the opportunity even arises). And if the punches do land or he gets cornered, Mayweather is pretty capable of handling barrages, if Mayweather-Maidana is any indication.

• Fast foot speed. Pacquiao can tag his opponents with a left hook or his fabled straight, then escape from almost any angle he chooses, sometimes even feinting an escape to one direction but moving the opposite direction instead.

Again, Money's defensive and counter-punching skills are going to be crucial here, because Pacquiao is incredibly quick and can hit his his opponent and be literally right behind them at seemingly the same instant. Fortunately, Mayweather has some good footwork and can dance with the best of them (ie Zab Judah) and still come out on top.

• Not an actual advantage, but some people claim that southpaws have an edge over orthodox fighters because orthodox fighters are trained and conditioned to fight other orthodox fighters and may not have an effective counter/defense to southpaw's jab, among other things.

Well, this is just ridiculous.

MAYWEATHER

• He is a very good and smart and adaptable fighter.

whatever, pacquiao is still going to win

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Lukeington
Literally 15

business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 12:13 pm »

here is an interesting article from the Times about the last guy to beat Mayweather
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 12:19 pm »

I think if the fight had occurred 5 or so years ago like it was supposed to then Pacquiao would have beaten the damn hell out of Mayweather. But that's ol' Money for you, ducking the real contenders and punching down instead.

I expect a pretty patient fight out of both of these guys. They're both smart in the ring and they won't get caught trying to knock each other out. I think it'll come down to a Split Decision, the victor depending on which way the wind's blowing.

Illiterati
sex fucker
Deathfat

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31 pm »

Vegas wind always blows Money's way though, so if the fight goes the full 12 that's going to be a very controversial split decision in Mayweather's favor.

8====D~~~~~~~~~~(( |
Karlski
ಠ_ಠ
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 09:03 pm »

THE MEXECUTIONER

<TDF> Karlski only has one rule
<TDF> And that rule is "get fucked"
RummyLu
The PUNisher
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 03:15 pm »

I honestly don't care who wins I'm just happy to watch.

Like really happy.

"I’ll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because he’s pulled out."
DiegoInglewood
Sauce Castillo
Probably a postbot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 06:52 am »

love too watch

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length